Friday, June 14, 2013

Lessons

As parents, we constantly think about how we are raising our children; how we are imparting our values, beliefs, and experience to the next generation.  As parents, we are constantly asking ourselves: How can I teach the lessons I want my child to learn?  How can I impart the best aspects of myself/my partner while omitting the worst?  And most importantly, how can I not totally screw this up?

Lately though I've been wondering, what can I learn from my child?  Certainly she is much closer to the formative years of childhood (and their inherent, inevitable, invaluable lessons) than I.  So, what can she teach me?  We spend so much time as parents trying to make our children more like us, that we fail to see that perhaps it should be the other way around.  How can I be more like my miniature little force of nature?

My daughter...
...loves to laugh
...sings all day
...knows what she wants
...is not afraid to express her opinion
...values her friends
...dances at will
...loves her grandparents
...is happy when she goes to bed
...wakes with joy
...reads lots of books
...eats her vegetables
...washes her hands
...would spend all day outside if she could
...plays with our pets
...loves animals
...is in awe of nature
...wants to learn everything
...seeks every adventure
...cherishes every day
...is daring
...is brave
...is silly
...is fun
...is smart
...is forgiving
...is trusting
...is sweet
...is patient with her tired and cranky parents
...stops to smell the roses

No comments: