Thursday, September 27, 2007

Kwa Heri from Eldoret


It’s Thursday night. This will be my last post from Eldoret.

I’ve said (most of) my goodbyes, I am (mostly) packed, and I feel (mostly) ready to go home.

There’s a certain feeling I have that I’ve left some things undone, some things unsaid. But, I suppose that’s probably normal.

It's so strange...how at the beginning two months seems like forever; an eternity to be away from your home, your family, and everything familiar. But sitting here tonight, looking behind me at the amazing and terrible things that have happened... it seems like just yesterday I was looking up at the stars in Eldoret and thinking how I felt so terribly far from home. But now this is home, and the heartbreak I had 8 weeks ago at leaving is revisiting me, in a different way.


We’re leaving from IU house at 2:00 tomorrow, to catch our 3:00 flight to Nairobi. Nairobi to Amsterdam at 10:15. Amsterdam to Boston at 8 ish. Boston to Indy at 1 ish. Then at 4pm I'll get to see Michael's smiling face after 2 long months.


The Blog will probably continue to be updated for awhile, as I post my hundreds of pictures and some stories about readjusting, as well as my final paper (or at least part of it) for the rotation. After that, who knows? Maybe it will sit in cyberspace for a few years, until my next trip to Africa.


Kwa heri, Afrika, na asante sana.

No comments: