Thursday, September 27, 2007

Marafiki

…”Friends” in Kiswahili. One of the 3 major commandments given to us before coming to Kenya was “dignify relationships.” I’d like to share a little about some of the wonderful friends and relationships I’ve encountered here. I’ve learned something from every single person mentioned, and clearly my life would have been different, less rich, if the following people had never been a part of it.

Priti. Probably best to start with my roommate, as she figures prominently into most of my stories about MTRH, Eldoret, and Kenya. I didn’t know Priti that well before coming to Africa, but I was very lucky that she was the other student drawn out of the hat at the same time as me. She’s a very fun and silly person, and often adds lightness to my often too-seriousness. She’s going into internal medicine – she hates developmental milestones and I hate COPD and CHF; so medically we make a well rounded pair. In addition, we share a lot of the same views on life, the world, and med school and we’ve had many late-night discussions about these various topics. We both come from rather different backgrounds (Priti being a first-generation Hindu American whose parents are from India) so we bring different perspectives to any issue. Most importantly, she loves to shop. Between being there for each other through various illnesses, mood swings, and work frustrations, I think I’ve made a friend for life.

Dayna. The 3rd of the 3 IUSOM seniors here during my time, I regrettably only got to spend one month in Kenya with Dayna. But, what a fun month it was. Dayna was a lifeline to Priti and I when we first got here – not knowing our way around town at all, anything about the hospital, how much things should cost, where the good shops, groceries, banks, etc were in Eldoret. It would have been infinitely harder to move into the hostel if Dayna had not already been here. I really admired Dayna’s strength: soon after she arrived in Eldoret she found out that her mother had a serious medical condition. Being close to her mom, it was hard for her to not rush home, but she stayed and made the most of her time here. Dayna spent her 2nd month doing OB/GYN – her future career – and we could always count on her for a wide variety of stories from the delivery rooms and ORs: funny, bizarre, sad, tragic. We miss Dayna a lot now, only a small part of that being because she had a vast library of “Scrubs” episodes on her laptop. There is no better way to unwind from a frustrating day than watching your chosen profession get parodied relentlessly.

Venus. Oh Venus. The only ‘blonde’ Chinese girl I’ve ever met. Venus is a girl with a heart of solid gold, with such a sweet and innocent disposition that you can’t help but like her immediately (Think Tiff, but a Chinese Canadian). Venus is a business major at U of Toronto, and she spent her 10 weeks here working with the Family Preservation Initiative (FPI) arm of AMPATH. FPI works on issues like food security, small loans to private businesses and families, etc. Venus’ real passion while she was here, though, was playing with the kids at Sally Test. She used her camp-counselor persona to come up with absolutely brilliant arts and crafts to do with the kids. They all loved her. When she left, they made her a poster with all of their handprints on it. Being such a sweet person, Venus had a hard time saying no, and consequently gave her phone number out to just about everyone in Eldoret. By the end of the time here, she didn’t even answer her own phone anymore, as more likely than not it was some random guy calling with another marriage proposal. She was often subject to incessant teasing by the group – especially Sonak (since she left, Sonak has been on an earnest hunt for the “new Venus”), but she always took it well, and she knew that we all loved her.

Laurein. A 6th year medical student from Holland, I met Laurein on my first night in Eldoret when she came to dinner with us. I have no idea how she got hooked up with our group, as she didn’t know any of us at the time. That first night, I just remember being jet-lagged and exhausted, and thinking “who is this crazy Dutch girl who’s yakking my ear off?” Verbosity aside, it didn’t take long for me to love Laurein. She has a refreshingly European way of saying exactly what she’s thinking, and she can tell some of the funniest stories I have ever heard. Very outgoing and gregarious, she throws herself into whatever she is doing with gusto, whether it’s her studies, her patient care, or her friendships. Because of her work ethic, she has become essentially tri-lingual; applying the same fortitude in her Kiswahili lessons. On her way to becoming an international health worker in Doctors Without Borders, Laurein is currently starting a month-long rotation in rural healthcare in Kapenguria, Kenya, the she finish up her 4 month stay in Africa with a month of OB/GYN in Cape Town, South Africa. The thought of four months in Africa does not phase her, despite not knowing anyone in any of her destinations. Her ability to make friends wherever she goes is one of her strongest assets, and I believe she is going to do a huge amount of good in her medical career.

Abby. A social work student from Indianapolis, Abby will be spending 13 weeks in Eldoret, working with Sarah Ellen to improve and really get off the ground the rape/sexual assault center at MTRH. Her passion for women’s advocacy is very inspiring, despite the horrible, HORRIBLE things she sees every single day. Instead of letting the countless tragedies make her emotionally paralyzed, she uses these patients to drive her work and remind her of her purpose. I admire that so much. She actually reminds me a lot of Laura, which is part of the reason I like her so much. (And, it turns out that she actually lived on the same street in Chicago as Laura and Daniel for basically the same stretch of years. Uncanny, no?) In addition, she’s a very good basketball player, and it’s always amusing to watch her school Sonak at hoops. Her OCD-esque quirks and dry sense of humor have made her a real joy to have on trips.

Natalie. A senior medical student from University of Utah, I wasn’t quite sure what to make of Natalie at first. After only a short time; however, she really grew on me. We really only spent about 3 weeks together in Kenya, but it was 3 intense weeks, as they included the rafting trip to Uganda and she was our next door neighbor in the hostel. Natalie has a work ethic that I really admire, going back to the wards almost every afternoon to do procedures, check up on labs, or admit patients. She basically talked me into interviewing at the peds program in Salt Lake, and it will be great to see her again when I go out there.

Angela. A 3rd year peds resident from IU. Angela was one of my residents when I did my 3rd year inpatient peds rotation, and she was a lot of fun. She was also one of the night-float residents when I did NICU at Methodist, so when I found out one month of our time in Kenya overlapped, I was very excited. As one of the other NICU residents said “Angela could have fun at the bottom of a well.” I think that’s true. We’ve enjoyed quite a few fun and crazy moments courtesy of Angela in the past 4 weeks, including rafting on the Nile together and staying in the same hotel at Masai Mara. Not only is she extremely fun, she’s also extremely smart, and she has taken on the care of the children in the wards as a personal mission. Many days she has gone over and above the call of duty or expectation to find an inhaler for a kid that really needed it, made sure a dehydrated baby got enough fluids, or found a way to get an antibiotic that was out of stock.

Sonak. One of the smartest, if not /the/ smartest guy I’ve ever met. Sonak is 26, has his PharmD, did 2 years of residency in infectious disease, got his MPH (masters of public health) and is now a fully salaried professor through Purdue pharmacy school. Oh yes, and he’s on a tenure track. And ALSO, he worked for a year in Kisumu before getting his job in Eldoret. He got here the day before Priti and I did. Sonak was hired on for at least 5 years (but probably more) to rev up the pharmacy student exchange program that had sort of gotten into a rut. And he has really thrown his full energy at the job. His head is practically bursting with new, innovative ideas for AMPATH funding and HIV/AIDS research. (The 2 latest ones being global Wii tournaments with a buy-in that goes to AMPATH, and his most recent brainchild: Drinking and Dancing for Drugs. This involves a bi-monthly dance party at his house, where he will sell at-cost liquor and beer for a huge markup, and give the money to the Pharmacy program for emergency and out of stock drugs. After it gets off the ground in Kenya, he wants to live-link all of the cities in the ASANTE consortium, as well as sell t-shirts and other merchandise). His energy really does seem endless, and he is a constant source of information about all things related to international health. And to top it all off, he is an honest to goodness nice guy. He’s so patient about driving the girls around town to go shopping or run various other errands, especially when it’s raining. Whenever any of us are sick or has a problem, he’s so good about following up with us to make sure we’re ok. (Even Dr. Mamlin said – “that Sonak, he’s so cute. What a nice guy.”) And, really, he’s a lot of fun. He has a pool table in his house which is almost always in use, and he just recently acquired a 46-inch flat screen TV for his wall – sports viewing and all 3 seasons of “The Office” being the primary objectives. He also regales us with his lofty plans of building a fully-stocked bar in his house, in addition to a water cooler so he can be fully “self-sufficient” and not have to rely on IU house for anything. His role models are Paul Farmer and Joe Mamlin, and despite his young age he’s well on his way to being on par with those men; Sonak is going to do great things – things on a global scale to improve the health of developing nations, I am absolutely sure of it. I consider the newly-arrived pharmacy students very lucky to have such an energetic and optimistic teacher, but I think I may be a little bit luckier to have him as my friend.

Hao & Robert. Hao is a pediatrician, Robert is a medicine/pediatrics doc. It was a strange and new experience, being friends with my attendings, though not at all an unpleasant one. Before coming to Kenya to be the IU medical team leaders for a year, Hao and Robert spent quite a few years living on a Navajo reservation in America, providing medical care for the tribe. Right after getting married, they took a year off of medical school to do malaria research in Peru. Romantic way to spend your first year of marriage, eh? At first glance, it seems as though they have lived very exotic lives, but when it comes down to it they are very nice, very normal people raising 3 kids, trying to have as normal a life as possible while doing what they really love. I think they are very inspiring, and I certainly look to them as role models for having a family and practicing medicine – practicing international medicine at that.

Benson. A former street kid taken under the Mamlins’ wing, Benson serves as an invaluable asset to the American students in Eldoret. He shows us around town, goes out with us, takes us to the safe places, and makes sure we all get home ok with reliable taxis. A very fun and very nice guy, he’s in the process of finishing up his primary schooling so he can go to pharmacy school in Nairobi. I am amazed that, after years of revolving-door friendships, he still takes the time to get to know us all personally.

Joy. A 4th year medical student on my pediatric team from day 1. I was very intimidated by Joy at first, but after I got to know her, she became by far the best Kenyan friend I’ve made here. She possessing a very quirky sense of humor and the most uncanny way of imitating our Consultants that have earned us reprimands on rounds more than once. Aptly named, I have never once seen her looking down about anything or say anything negative about anyone. She checked on me when I was sick, and after we weren’t on the same team anymore, would send me random text messages to see how I was doing. Through our many and various discussions, I was pleased and surprised to find out how much we had in common, despite growing up on opposite sides of the world and in very different circumstances. I appreciate the way that Joy just seems to get me; understanding exactly who I am the way a lifelong friend would. I’m sure it’s very ignorant of me, but I did not expect to make friends in Kenya the way that I did. Perhaps a part of me figured ‘aside from working in medicine, what else could we possibly have in common?’. Clearly Joy (and the rest of my Kenyan friends) proved that ignorant notion wrong. I would not have loved Kenya nearly as much as I did (do) if it hadn’t been for Joy’s friendship, and I will miss her very much. She aspires to complete her residency in the U.S., and I sincerely hope that she does.

Ben. A 6th year student on my pediatric team. Nicknamed “The Professor” because he always has an answer for everything (usually the right answer) and he always has a lot to say about everything as well. Ben is one of the few non-traditional students at MTRH – he’s 38 (though he doesn’t look a day over 25) and worked for several years as a clinical officer before starting med school. He’s married and has 2 kids, and since he lives at the hostel during the week, his idea of a good time on the weekend is going home to see his family. Ben is very down to earth, very knowledgeable, and very good with his patients. He wants to be a pediatrician, and I know he will be an excellent one.

Allan. Also a student from my pediatric team, a 4th year. Allan was the student who sort of guided me through the first few very confusing weeks on the wards. He helped me with admissions, found the patients/parents who spoke English, and kept me updated on the ever-changing class schedule so I could go to lectures. Along with Joy and Ben, Allan really helped me feel like a part of the team and less like an outsider.

Wycliffe. The faithful Kiswahili tutor. How many times over the years has he heard muzungus butchering his native language? Too many to count, I’m sure. Still, he soldiers on with us in his infinite patience. Always very encouraging, even with the smallest of accomplishments, never laughing at me but allowing me to laugh at myself. (And my mastery of the Kiswahilli language is indeed, quite laughable). One of many IU House Kenyan regulars who witnesses the revolving door of our community, he still manages to never forget a face or a name. If I’m ever back in Eldoret, I’d like Wycliffe and Kiswahili to give me another chance.

At lunch on Tuesday, Hao asked Priti and I what our favorite part of the experience had been. I didn’t even have to think before answering “the people.” The hospital has been educational, the trips have been amazing, but none of it would have meant half as much if it hadn’t been for the people there around me. I hope that in coming to that realization, I have fulfilled the purpose of the program. I hope that by making this experience about the people, it will mean much more, and stay with me much longer than just ‘these 2 months I spent in Kenya once.’

No comments: