Monday, May 21, 2007

Done! (Sort of!)

Well, all of my clinical responsibilibies for 3rd year are DONE, and now we have a little "break" between now and June 1st, when we start 4th year. I say "break" because it is not really one for me. Tomorrow I take my senior OSCE, then a week from tomorrow it's Step 2 CS in Chicago, then 2 days after that I'll take my final exam (surgery) of THIRD year. So yeah, lots of studying to do in the next 10 days. I'm kinda bummed about not really having a break, but I did it to myself, so it's ok. I'm also hoping to get my MESS of a house cleaned in the next few weeks as well.

My fourth year schedule looks as such:
June -- NICU (VERY excited about this)
July -- Developmental/newborn follow up outpatient
Aug -- KENYA
Sept -- KENYA
Oct -- Peds cardiology
Nov -- Peds therapeutics (hopefully). If I don't get into this elective, I'll be doing Peds infectious disease
Dec -- VACATION (and residency interviews)
Jan -- Radiology
Feb -- Emergency Medicine
March -- Peds heme/onc (and MATCH DAY!!!)
April -- Medicine Sub-I (The only worse month to have your Sub-I is in May)
May -- VACATION (and graduation!)

So there you have it. Only 12 short months until I have in my posession a very expensive degree and hat. Kinda scary, eh?

In other news, the ACP leadership Day in DC was pretty great. The first day, I learned quite a bit about specifically what issues the medical community has identified as needing priority action. I also learned more about the structure and theory behind the medicare program, and we touched a little on medicaid as well. It got me (re)interested in public policy, and once again I'm thinking that may be part of my medical future. I also got to see Jay and India, which was fun. Overall, it was a good trip, but now I really need to go back so I can do touristy things (as the last time I was in DC before this, I was about 10).

The books are calling. But far away in the distance, I think I can finally see an end in sight!

1 comment:

ProudDad said...

Took me a bit to figure out these "new fangled" blogs, but think I am now "hip", "cool", jammin'" or whatever the current slang term is (NEVER end a sentence with a preposition)! Anyhow on to the important stuff.

I (being somewhat biased) think you are really setting a great example of what God intends for each of us. If everyone would seek first the Kingdom, our first choice in all things would be to find ways to help others. Even though you are very busy with med school, you find time to offer help to those who need it.

Making the choice to go to Kenya and work with those who have nothing but the hope you can give them is a precious gift. There will be times while you are in Kenya that will test your spirit, but remember that your mission is to give of yourself and not question the "Plan", for all things work to the good for those who love God (you will have to forgive the paraphrase and the senile mind of an old man who cannot remember where his car keys are let alone the book, chapter and verse of a very important bible verse!).

Oh, and one more thing, BE CAREFUL!!